Friday, January 7, 2011

Peasant Bread

   This bread disappeared too fast to get a picture.  Seriously.  The crust was chewy, the inside was soft with a smooth texture and the mix of rye, wheat and bread flours gave it a wonderful aroma and a nutty flavor.  The bread needed nothing to accompany it, although it did get some butter while it was still warm. 
   I have to admit this loaf was difficult to cut while warm.  The recipe calls for the dough to be shaped into two rounds, but I think the next time I make it, I'll make one larger loaf. 
   This was definitely a keeper.  Perfect bread for soup or just cheese and fruit.  Or butter.  Or alone.  While you're under a fuzzy blanket.  And its snowing. 

If you try it, I'd love to know how it worked for you.  Tomorrow, I'll have a recipe for Spinach and Sun-dried Tomato Bread complete with photos.  I hope.  

PEASANT BREAD
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 T. honey
1 3/4 t. active dry yeast (one package)
1/4 c. rye flour
1/4 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 t. salt
3-4 c. bread flour
1/4 c. cornmeal

1.  Combine water, honey and yeast.  Stir to disolve and let stand till foamy, about 10 minutes.

2.  Add rye and whole whear flours; stir to combine.  Add salt and enough bread flour to create a firm dough.  (I only used about 3.5 cups.)  Add flour only to reduce stickiness. turn out onto a floured board and knead 8-10 minutes.  (Again, I used my dough hook.)  Return to bowl, dust the top with flour, and cover with a damp cloth.  Rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.

3.  Line a baking sheet with parchment and sprinkle with cornmeal.  Turn risen dough onto a floured surface, divide into 2 equal portions and shape into round loaves.  Place onto prepared pan and set aside to proof for 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  I let my bread proof on the stove top to help the rise.

4.  Dust top of risen loaves with flour.  Using a serrated knife, slash a crosshatch pattern into the surcase of the risen dough, about 1/2" deep.  Place a pan of cold water at the bottom of the over to create steam.  Bake until golden brown and hollow sounding, about 30-40 minutes.  ( Mine was about 36 minutes.)  Cool on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment